Sunday, March 29, 2009

Jehovah's Witnesses, you missed a verse

Jehovah's Witnesses, you forgot to change a verse in your bible:
But on catching sight of Jesus from a distance he ran and did obeisance to him, and, when he had cried out with a loud voice, he said: “What have I to do with you, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I put you under oath by God not to torment me.” For he had been telling it: “Come out of the man, you unclean spirit.” (...) However, he did not let him, but said to him: “Go home to your relatives, and report to them all the things Jehovah has done for you and the mercy he had on you.” And he went away and started to proclaim in the De·cap´o·lis all the things Jesus did for him, and all the people began to wonder. (Mark 5:6-8, 19-20 in the Jehovah's Witness New World Translation)

Can you see that Jesus equated Himself with Jehovah, since He Himself did that kind deed for the man? And that the man understood the message and told everyone that Jesus Himself did the deed?

Witnesses, your view of Jehovah is so very different than mine that I think we can both agree that you and I have a different Jehovah. You have a history of changing your bible to line up with your beliefs (for example, see these scans of a 1961 New World Translation: scan 1* scan 2 scan 3 scan 4).

* By the way, I didn't misspell Jehovah in that first scan, my friend did.

Interestingly, you say the trinitarian translators of changing the texts to suit their theology, but one wonders if the opposite is true. Besides, if they really were dinking around with the text, wouldn't you think Colossians 1:15 would have been the first target? I would.

That's why I believe the trinitarian translators are the more believable ones. They saw the difficulties that Colossians 1:15 would cause if they translated it the way it appeared in the Greek text, but they kept it the same anyway. They trusted Jehovah that He would guide us even with Colossians 1:15 in there. They seem to be the more honest ones. Nearly every trinitarian translator has kept the word "firstborn". I think they are just being faithful to the original Greek text. If they were really interested in promoting a myth of three god worship, that text would have to go, and yet they have kept it there. Changing key words seems to be unacceptable for trinitarian translators. It does, however, seem to be acceptable for Jehovah's Witness translators.

Given that it seems we have two different Jehovahs, you realize that if you're serving the wrong Jehovah you are going to be destroyed. You realize that, don't you? It is that serious.

You have a more severe problem than just having the wrong Jehovah; you believe you have basically kept the Ten Commandments. If that is the case, go here and claim your prize. That is a legitimate offer to anyone who can prove they have kept the Ten Commandments.

So go to the site above and claim your prize :-)

6 comments:

Steve Noel said...

Hey Chris,

Good post. I recently spent about 5 months with a JW elder. He got so frustrated with me that he finally decided to quit coming. I've also been giving lots of scans to a lady at work concerning the WTBTS changes with the year 1914.

Chris said...

Show her the Hebrews 1:6 scans above that one really gets their attention. "You trinitarians changed your Bible..." Really now? Who's changing who's Bible? It's kinda like that kid on the playground who always stole stuff, who always accused other people of stealing stuff to get the attention off himself :-)

Steve Noel said...

I actually have an older NWT that still has "worship" in Hebrews 1:6. I picked it up at the Goodwill!

Chris said...

When one organization changes VERY FUNDAMENTAL TEXTS in order to match their doctrine, but another organization does NOT change very fundamental texts even though it could hinder their doctrine, I trust the second organization. Colossians 1:15 has been the same in my Bible for almost 500 years.

Hugh McCann said...

Hey Chris, saw your post 6/17/11 @ God's Hammer.

Also, Rev 1:17, 2:8, 22:13 all have Jesus saying he is the 1st and last.

Hmm, sounds like YHWH: "Listen to me, O Jacob, and Israel, whom I called! I am he; I am the first, and I am the last." [Is. 48:12]

And Isaiah 44:6 makes it clear that he and Son are one: "Thus says Jehovah, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, Jehovah of hosts: I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god."

If the Father and the Son are both first & last,
and if Jesus and the Father are one [Jn. 10:30],
and if the Christ is called the everlasting Father [Is. 9:6],
then the JayDubs are quite wrong.

Also, when did Jehovah die and live again? "Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades." [Rev. 1:17f]

Chris said...

Question is, does their Bible say the same? I'm at work right now so I can't spend time checking it...